Our History

 

Grace Baptist Church was first organized in 1957 when a small group of believers decided to call their first pastor.  The church met in various homes until they were able to rent the upstairs of the Walton Tea Room on US Route 30 (approximately 1 mile from our current location).  In 1958, the church’s charter was approved and The Grace Baptist Church was formally established. Soon thereafter, the Walton Tea Room was purchased. Services were conducted in the old dining room and classrooms and a study were prepared for use.  The church was incorporated in 1960 and continued to meet on Route 30 during the 1960’s and early 1970’s.

In 1973, land was purchased on State Route 136 across from the Fort Allen plan that would become our future home.  In 1974, plans for a new building were prepared that included a 300 seat auditorium, a chapel, a fully functional nursery, a 40’ by 40’ gym and sufficient classrooms and offices to meet our growing needs.  The plans were approved in 1975 and ground was broken for our new church building in 1976.  The first services were held in our new building in November 1976.  

Throughout the years, improvements have been made to enhance our facilities and ministries.  The paving of the parking lot, done in stages, was completed in 1998.  Air conditioning installed in the auditorium in 1999.  In 2000, a garage was added to the church property to house additional equipment for grounds keeping and snow removal.  In 2002, the foyer was remodeled and a stair glide was installed and the front porch was enclosed in 2007.  A new sound booth and sound system improvements were started in 1999 with additional improvements completed to the audio-visual system in 2011 that have allowed movies and internet content to be added to the services.